Behavioral Coding & Analysis
水果视频app官网A very important part of studying human behavior is performing observations. What better way to tell how someone behaves than to observe that person? The behaviors of an individual or group of individuals within a particular social context of interest, such as the classroom, the playground, the peer group, the home, the clinic, or the workplace can be recorded and coded. Each code is used to mark the occurrence of a specific behavior or set of behaviors.
Designing a coding scheme made easy
水果视频app官网Designing a coding scheme is a crucial step in behavioral research. The coding scheme is the actual measuring instrument. Choices made at this stage determine what you can do with your data at later stages.
- Describe complex phenomena in a few keystrokes. The coding scheme has a powerful syntax.
- Record social interactions, group processes, and other complex behaviors with a minimum of different codes, minimizing learning efforts and errors.
- Add or change codes while observing.
Behavioral coding software
The Observer®水果视频app官网 XT is the professional human behavior research software. It supports the entire workflow of your project: synchronize, visualize, and analyze your observational data. Easily code behavior, start and stop recordings from The Observer XT, and automatically import video, audio, eye tracking, physiology, and emotions. You can benefit from our experience with different hardware set-ups ranging from video recording to interfacing with data acquisition systems, or synchronized starting of other programs or systems.
Marie Bocquillon: "It is important to train future teachers."
Marie Bocquillon of the University of Mons in Belgium uses Noldus' behavioral analysis software for her research about improving teacher practices. The Observer XT and MediaRecorder allow her to record the sessions and score the behaviors of her future teachers at the same time.
Watch the movie to find out why Marie thinks that future teachers should look critically at their own performances.
Video analysis tool
水果视频app官网The analysis of data often begins with visualizing data streams. In The Observer XT all data streams are displayed alongside and play in perfect sync. Visualization creates a direct reference between video, audio, and other data: a great tool for quality improvement.
With drag and drop, you can easily build filters based on combinations of independent variables, behaviors, physiological data, and time criteria, such as behaviors being active, or select subjects by independent variable. You can also perform a lag sequential analysis to analyze the order of events. Discover all the possibilities by trying it out for yourself!
A diverse collection of scientific articles citing Noldus products are published in renowned journals. The following list is only a small selection of scientific publications. Please contact us if you need more reference material.
- Kanakri, S. (2017). Acoustic design and repetitive speech and motor movement in children with autism. Environment and Ecology Research, 5 (1), 39-44. DOI: 10.13189/eer.2017.050105
- Muesbeck, J.; St. John, B.M.; Kant, S. & Ausderau, K.K. (2018). Use of Props During Mealtime for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders: Self-Regulation and Reinforcement. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research: Occupation, Participation and Health, 38 (4), 254-260.
- Schinkel, M.G.; Chambers, C.T.; Corkum, P. & Jacques S. (2018). Dyadic analysis of siblings’ relationship quality, behavioural responses, and pain experiences during experimental pain. Pain, 159 (8), 1569-1579.
- Tarle, S.; Alderson, R.; Arrington, E.; Roberts, D. (2019). Emotion regulation and children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: the effect of varying phonological working memory demands. Journal of Attention Disorders.